Style Voices: Connie Wong
In this week's Style Voices we are catching up with Connie Wong, a public relations #GirlBoss who founded her company Moderne Press in 2008. Connie's style is unique in that you don't notice it right away — instead, the first thing you notice about her is her warm smile and friendly face. Connie has a way of making you feel like you have been best friends your whole life, even if you just met! After chatting a while, suddenly her preppy, feminine style becomes apparent and you start seeing little things about her outfit you love, like the cute print on her dress or the barely-there but oh-so-cool necklace she's wearing. Every time we've seen her she somehow manages to always look perfectly polished, yet comfortable at the same time. Can you say #GOALS?
Name? Connie Wong
Married? Kids? My husband, Chris, and I have a one-year-old daughter named Kate.
Where did you grow up and where do you live now? How have those places effected your style? I'm originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, where I currently live. I went to prep school growing up, so I think that informed my style quite a bit. But I also lived in Honolulu and Southern California for many years, and that more relaxed, beachy lifestyle has definitely crept its way into how I dress today as well.
Where do you work and what do you do? I founded and own Moderne Press, a boutique PR agency representing fashion, home décor, kids, and lifestyle brands.
Do you have a work-week "uniform"? My work-week uniform usually consists of a few combos: the first is a blazer + tee/tank + skinny jeans + flats. When the weather is colder, I might swap out the blazer for a sweater and add in knee-high boots—when it's rainy I'll add a coat and rain boots. The second is a denim jacket + cute dress + flats. Same idea here, when it gets colder I'll wear booties and tights instead. And the last combo is tee shirt + mini or pencil skirt + flats. Because I'm usually wrangling a toddler before and immediately after work, I generally try for a polished yet kid-friendly outfit. As far as my everyday jewelry goes, I'm usually wearing something delicate and personal, but I keep a stash in my bag so when I remember it's there I'll layer on some other pieces for a bolder look.
When you wake up on a Saturday morning and start your day, what are you typically wearing? PJ's! With Kate being our daily alarm clock (there's no sleeping in with a toddler!), we're usually up by 6:30am to make and have breakfast with her. After breakfast (and after coffee!) we'll get dressed for the day—I'm usually in jeans, a tee, and flats (or Vans slip-on sneaks) or an easy cotton dress with flats. We spend our weekends running errands and doing something fun with Kate like going to the playground, having lunch with friends, or something more special like the petting zoo.
Where is your favorite place to shop? Lou & Grey is one of my favorites. My friend Jamie and I discovered it when it was still being sold inside LOFT stores, but it has a much cooler, laidback vibe that perfectly fits into my "polished yet kid-friendly" look. They also have some really awesome up-and-coming designers they spotlight in the store, which I always love checking out.
Where do you get style inspiration? Honestly, a lot of my style inspiration comes from real women—whether it's someone I spot on the street, "real women" style features in magazines, blogs, or more often than not, cool women I already know!
What's your signature? You can usually find me in flats on a daily basis! I also love a good stripe or polka-dot printed anything.
Do you have any tips for the I-have-nothing-to-wear mornings that women face? This is definitely something I struggle with, too! Here's one thing that always works for me: I pull out a cocktail dress or fancier skirt that I might normally only wear for a special occasion and dress it down with a denim jacket.
We all know beauty goes hand in hand with fashion...what is your no-fail, 5-minute beauty routine? Five minutes is actually all I have most mornings, so this is my daily reality! Here's my step-by-step:
1. Wash face with One Love Organics "Easy Does It" Cleanser. I've been trying my best to use more organic products and this one is so gentle on my face.
2. Apply a touch of One Love Organics "Morning Glory", a caffeinated firming serum that actually feels refreshing when it goes on and helps me wake up.
3. Moisturize with Josie Maran "Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47"—it's lightweight, non-greasy, and absorbs quickly, all while knocking out my SPF application.
4. Add a layer of primer, like Glossier "Priming Moisturizer", and top it off with concealer which I apply with a sponge because it's so much easier than a brush. I've been using Cle de Peau Concealer for the past 8 years and I find it's really the best for covering undereye circles and blemishes. Also, since a little bit goes a long way this stuff lasts FOREVER.
5. Unfortunately my eyelashes are super short and sparse. Like, so short they might as well not be there (my husband and daughter, on the other hand, wake up looking like they're wearing fake lashes...unfair!). I really can't live without my Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler (the best one for my Asian eyes) and a great mascara (one that will give me a lot of length, volume, and definition). I've tried mascaras at ALL price points and my fave right now is CoverGirl LashBlast.